Website Rethink Food
The individual in this role manages a portfolio of private and corporate foundations and will provide support as needed for Rethink’s growing government portfolio. This role will be responsible for helping to identify, cultivate and steward relationships with current and prospective foundation donors with a goal of increasing foundation revenue. The Senior Manager of Institutional Giving reports to the Executive Director of Institutional Giving (EDIG) and will work closely with other members of the Philanthropy and Partnerships teams. This is an in-person position based in our New York City office.
- Work with the EDIG to identify, cultivate, and sustain a pipeline of institutional funders
- Manage a portfolio of funders; write letters of inquiry, proposals, renewal requests, and all reports
- Research and qualify new sources of support for Rethink’s general operations and for priority programs through prospect research for new private foundation funders, corporate foundations and government RFPs
- Collaborate with team members as needed to develop strategic and compelling grant applications, stewardship and reporting materials
- Manage internal grants calendar and schedule to ensure that proposals, deliverables and reports are submitted on time
- Coordinate and project manage the successful completion of proposal and report deadlines with development and program teams
- Work across Rethink’s departments to ensure stewardship requirements are met in a timely and coordinated fashion
- Update and manage Rethink’s Salesforce database of current and prospective donor records and files and ensure accuracy of recording funder histories, activities, and profiles
- Work with the Development department to steward donors through communications, presentations, outreach, site visits and donor appreciation events
- Develop effective working relationships with Operations and Program’s departments. Keep up-to-date on all aspects of assigned programs in order to provide compelling and meaningful information to current and prospective funders
- Collaborate with the Finance team around gift recognition and acknowledgements, grant contracts, and account reconciliation
- Assist with donor events in NYC, and other Rethink markets, as needed
- Support other development activities as needed
Skills Knowledge and Expertise:
- 5+ years experience in relevant field with demonstrated success in grant and proposal writing, development, experience in the nonprofit sector required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required; demonstrated ability to manage a growing portfolio of funders and demonstrated success securing funding of all types, including upgraded funding and new funders
- Experience with CRM/donor management systems (Salesforce preferred), tracking donor engagement strategy and reporting results
- Excellent critical thinking skills, including creating logic models for funding proposals; analyzing and synthesizing program information and current research/trends in the field of food insecurity and sustainability; and, integrating the nuances of philanthropic interests in advancing our approach
- Excellent written, verbal and non-verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate clear, persuasive, and concise thoughts, with emphasis on superb proposal writing
- Excellent donor relations skills, and ability to work with board members, foundation/government contacts, and program directors
- Flexible and adaptive to effectively manage changing priorities and new opportunities
- Takes a solutions-based, collaborative approach to drive change in work and navigate challenges
- Quick learner who demonstrates an eagerness to continually strengthen their understanding of Rethink’s work and seeks to hone written communication skills
- Must embrace the mission and core values of Rethink
Rethink Food has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy (with the exception of reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons). Documentation will be required upon hire.
As a values-driven organization that values the well-being of our team, we’re committed to continually evaluating and improving the employee benefits we provide for our exceptional staff. Rethink is able to offer a range of benefits available to all full-time staff that include generous paid-time off, health insurance, and an array and a range of additional voluntary benefits including: dental, vision, retirement plans, commuter benefits, short-term and long-term disability insurance, portable life insurance, critical illness insurance, legal assistance insurance, hospital indemnity insurance, Health Saving Account (HSA), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and prepaid college funds.
Most importantly, Rethink will offer a company contribution that will fully cover a basic company health insurance plan for any employee that wants it. Just as we believe food is a basic human right, we also believe access to basic health care is as well.
What You Bring to the Table:
Commitment to embodying our values of:
Inventiveness: At our core, we are relentlessly curious about solving problems. As our name suggests, we’re a team of creative thinkers, but we’re also hands-on doers, challenging norms with humility to find practical solutions that can create lasting change.
Vulnerability: Guided by an “always be better” mindset, we are a team that intentionally reflects on what we are doing well and where we need to improve. We hold ourselves and each other accountable, every day. No blame, no shame — we just want to be sure we’re always doing the right thing.
Thoughtfulness: Our vision for a nourished and thriving world starts with nourished and thriving individuals in each of our communities. Our work is centered on the needs of the people that bring our communities to life. We don’t pretend to have all of the answers. We are committed to listening and learning in order to identify and scale solutions that ensure stable and reliable access to healthy food for all so each and every community can thrive.
Kindness: At Rethink, we show up every day with empathy and compassion and believe everyone should be treated with dignity. Kindness goes a long way — we are all about just being kind
Rethink Food is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage or citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status. The company is also a drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.