The Tory Burch Foundation, a nonprofit organization empowering women, is bringing together leaders, activists, and performers for an event billed as The Summit: Challenging Stereotypes and Creating New Norms. The Embrace Ambition Summit (#EmbraceAmbition) will be held on March 5 in New York at Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Frederick P. Rose Hall.
Speakers will include:
- Tory Burch – Executive Chairman and Chief Creative Officer of Tory Burch LLC, an American lifestyle brand, and Founder of the Tory Burch Foundation;
- Gloria Steinem;
- Yola – Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter and musician from Bristol, England;
- Ashley Judd – Author, actor, leader of the #MeToo movement and founding member of Time’s Up;
- Tina Tchen – President & CEO of Time’s Up, and formerly executive director of the White House Council on Women and Girls;
- Sylvia Earle – Founder of the marine environmental organization Mission Blue;
- Claudette Colvin – One of two survivors of the Browder v. Gayle U.S. Supreme Court Case that ended bus segregation in Montgomery, Alabama;
- Diane von Furstenberg – Fashion designer, philanthropist and Founder and Chair of her eponymous company;
- Mellody Hobson – Co-CEO and President of Ariel Investments;
- Deja Foxx – Founder of @GenZGirlGang, an online community of womxn; and
- Anne Finucane – Vice-Chair at Bank of America, and Board Chair of B of A’s European Bank.
The Tory Burch Foundation-convened Summit will include stories and conversations featuring female leaders from Hollywood, business, science, entrepreneurship and youth movements who will tackle “challenging stereotypes and creating new norms.” The all-day summit will include performances, including short stories, spoken word, and music.
Attendees will be able to connect with women-owned businesses at the entrepreneur marketplace, visit the Tory Burch Foundation pop-up shop, and network with other attendees. Applications to attend have closed, but anyone can sign up for the free live stream of the event.
The summit features several key players in the #MeToo movement, and comes in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein trial, which took place just a few miles south of the Summit’s Midtown Manhattan location. PW has actively covered #MeToo in the articles “Weinstein Trial is a Wake Up Call to Fund #MeToo,” “CBS Poll: #MeToo Prompts Men to Change Behavior with Women,” and “The Benefits of Replacing Powerful Men with Women in the #MeToo Era,” among others.
The Tory Burch Foundation’s mission is to empower women entrepreneurs, and a number of heavy-hitters will be present including Mellody Hobson and Diane von Furstenberg. Hobson, in addition to her leadership role at Ariel Investments, has served as a board member on behalf of a number of leading corporations and foundations including Starbucks, JPMorgan Chase, DreamWorks Animation and Estée Lauder, and is a national champion of financial literacy and investing for African Americans and women.
In The News
- Experts: What Government Must Do Now to Ensure Gender Equality
- Announcing the Black Girl Freedom Fund’s First Six Grantees
- WDN Presents New Seminar Series on Uplifting Birth Justice
- Melinda Receives WPI Award, Urges More Philanthropy Led by Women
- Check Out These Resources for Dancers to Recover Post-COVID
- Marriott Bonvoy And YouTube Pledge Big To 2022 Gay Games
- Synchrony Commits $15M to Venture Funds that Focus on WOC
- $400K to Make Vaccines Within Reach for Black Women
- Firelight Finds Lack in Modern Philanthropy; We Can Do Better
- Miss Out on the Gloria Awards? Check Out the Highlights
The Tory Burch Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that advances women’s empowerment and entrepreneurship in the United States by providing access to capital, education and digital resources. The Foundation provides 50 Fellows annually with education and networking support, and in collaboration with Bank of America has provided 2,800 women entrepreneurs with affordable loans.
Philanthropy Women covers funding for gender equity in all sectors of society. We want to significantly shift public discourse, particularly in philanthropy, toward increased action for gender equality. You can support our work and access unlimited and premium content with one of our subscriptions.