Philanthropy Women launched in January of 2017 to become a new home for women donors and their allies to read about, understand, and amplify feminist philanthropy. Our articles on progressive women’s philanthropic activity have garnered thousands of page views, and our content is frequently featured on larger venues in the sector including Giving Compass, Inside Philanthropy, and The Chronicle of Social Change. We have published over 1,100 articles, a funder database with over 700 gender equality funder listings, and are ranked number one for key search engine terms in the subject area including “feminist philanthropy.” Our traffic increased by double over the first year and we have over 4,000 subscribers to our post updates, including top leadership in the philanthropy and nonprofit sectors.
Philanthropy Women discusses funding for gender equity in all sectors of society including health, education, the arts, science and technology, music and entertainment, politics, and sports. By amplifying women donors’ activities in all of these social sectors, Philanthropy Women seeks to significantly shift the public discourse, particularly in philanthropy, toward increased action for gender equality.
From Editor and Founder, Kiersten Marek:
Philanthropy Women grew out of my desire to see more platforms for discussion and research on the role of women in philanthropy — both its definition, and its functioning. There is news almost every day of breakthroughs in philanthropy for women, such as the $90 million commitment from The NoVo Foundation to support research and advocacy for women and girls of color — the largest single private commitment to this particular population. Meanwhile, women are quietly growing networks of influence in government and the private sector, and are turning the attention of public policy toward a wide range of issues that empower not just women and girls, but whole communities.
We want to track all this progress, as well as any backward movements, in the long fight for women’s equality. We know we are not there yet, but it seems like now we are really gaining steam. Thanks for joining us!
In The News
- Find Funds Now: 355 Funders for International Gender Equality
- Funder Database: 413 Funders for Gender Equality in the US
- The Ascend Fund Grants $600 K for Electing Women in States
- Money for Families: Big Philanthropy Supports Economic Recovery
- Join the Global Day of Action: RISE for Afghan Women!
- Apply Now! WAVE Grant Open for Five Up-And-Coming Filmmakers
- Announcing SHEcovery, A COVID Response Call to Action from CFW
- New Nonprofit Seeks To Find The Lost Women Of Science
- Michelob ULTRA $100M Pledge Shifts Marketing to be Gender-Inclusive
- Old Navy’s Size-Inclusive Shopping Model Sets a New Standard