It’s always great to see your name up in lights, particularly at such a highly esteemed publication as Women’s eNews. Alyssa Fisher, the 2020 fellow in the Sy Syms Journalistic Excellence Program at Women’s eNews called me up and let me have a great riffing session on what it’s like to be at the helm of our small but mighty publication, Philanthropy Women, and what I see feminist donors doing for the world that no one else is doing.
From the article:
The idea to launch a website dedicated to women in philanthropy first came to Kiersten Marek in 2016, when Hillary Clinton was anticipated to win the presidential election and become the United State’s first woman president. When she launched it the following year, it felt even more pertinent.
“I really thought, ‘Wow, she’s going to get elected, and there’s going to be this massive realigning of government and social strategy about gender equality,’” said Marek, founder and editor-in-chief of Philanthropy Women. “But that didn’t happen, and instead we immediately saw regressions as soon as Donald Trump came into office.”
The article goes on to interview some of the top names in women’s philanthropy including Donna Hall, Sarah Haacke Byrd, and Sapphira Goradia.
The message is clear: women donors have been at the cutting edge of real change for decades, from ecofeminist strategies to wage equality advocacy to inclusiveness that is built into the system of our collective bodies. Yet the work itself faces many barriers in terms of getting patriarchal individuals and institutions to wake up, smell the coffee, and start funding like they do.
Check out the article! It’s totally amazing in terms of capturing this moment as an inflection point around women’s leadership and women’s financial power to push for a better world.
In The News
- Focus on Climate and Justice: 2020 Catalyst Award Winners
- Janet Dewart Bell Elected New Chair of Women’s Media Center Board
- Empowerment for Nurses: New Infusion from Rita & Alex Hillman
- 100 Black Business Women Selected for $25 K from American Express
- Dance Equity: Extra Tough Times for Women Dancers in COVID
- Hive Fund Gets Huge Gift from Bezos Climate Pledge
- Black Women’s Leadership Boosted by $1 Million Gift to Howard
- Uncoupled Bezos and Scott Join to Give $13 Million for Maternal Health
- Stop the Lies! WDDP to the Rescue Ongoing for Women in Politics
- Women’s Fund of Rhode Island Wins Diversity, Inclusion Honors